Competent Communication Program
The Competent Communication manual is designed to give new members a strong start in developing a core set of skills for public speaking. Each of the ten projects in this basic manual focuses on a certain aspect of speech making – from organization to delivery and builds upon what you have learned in the preceding project. Completion of the Competent Communication manual fulfills the requirement for the Competent Communicator (CC) award.
- Ice Breaker (4 to 6 minutes) – Begin speaking before an audience by introducing yourself to your fellow Club members and giving them some information about your background, interests and ambitions.
- Organize Your Speech (5 to 7 minutes) – Organize your thoughts into a logical sequence that leads the audience to a clearly defned goal.
- Get to the Point (5 to 7 minutes) – Ensure the beginning, body and conclusion of your speech reinforces your purpose and project sencerity and conviction.
- How to Say It (5 to 7 minutes) – Select precisely the right words required to communicate your ideas clearly and vividly by avoiding lengthy words and sentences and jargon.
- Your Body Speaks (5 to 7 minutes) – Learn the value of gestures, body movements and eye contact as part of a speech and explore the different ways of using body language.
- Vocal Variety (5 to 7 minutes) – Explore the use of voice volume, pitch, rate and quality as assets to your speaking and achieve a pleasing natural voice quality when speaking.
- Research Your Topic (5 to seven minutes) – Collect information about your topic from numerous sources and carefully support points and opinions with specific facts, examples and illustrations.
- Get Comfortable With Visual Aids (5 to 7 minutes) – Learn the value of visual aids in speaking and how to use them effectively in your presentations.
- Persuade with Power (5 to 7 minutes) – Present a talk that persuades the audience to accept your proposal or viewpoint by appealing to the audience’s self-interest, building a logical foundation for agreement and arousing emotional commitment to your cause.
- Inspire Your Audience (8 to 10 minutes) – Understand the mood and feelings of your audience on a particular occasion and put those feelings into words and inspire the audience, using all the techniques you have learned so far.
Advanced Communication Program
Becoming a Competent Communicator is just the first step in the learning process. You can earn additional recognition by participating in the Advanced Communication Program (AC) (3 levels: Bronze, Silver, Gold). Each level of the AC program consists of completing two manuals of 5 speeches from the following:
- The Entertaining Speaker
- Speaking to Inform
- Public Relations
- The Discussion Leader
- Specialty Speeches
- Speeches by Management
- The Professional Speaker
- Technical Presentations
- Persuasive Speaking
- Communicating on Television
- Interpretive Reading
- Interpersonal Communications
- Special Occasion Speeches
- Humorously Speaking
Better Speaker Series
Fulfills one of the requirements for Advanced Communicator Silver (ACS) award. The Better Speaker Series is a set of educational speeches on speaking-related topics. The program includes a script outlining the workshop and a PowerPoint presentation on CD.
- Beginning Your Speech
- Concluding Your Speech
- Take the Terror Out of A Talk
- Selecting Your Topic
- Impromptu Speaking
- Know Your Audience
- Organizing Your Speech
- Creating an Introduction
- Preparation and Practice
- Using Body Language
Success Communication Series
Fulfills one of the requirements for Advanced Communicator Gold (ACG) award. It is comprised of several modular programs designed to offer a higher, more comprehensive level of training. Each module is conducted as a workshop of one or more sessions.
- Speech craft
- How to Listen Effectively
- The Art of Effective Evaluation
- Building Your Thinking Power I: Mental Flexibility
- Building Your Thinking Power II: The Power of Ideas
- From Speaker to Trainer
Successful Club Series
Fulfills one of the requirements forAdvanced Communicator Silver (ACS) or Advanced Leader Bronze (ALB) award. It is a set of educational speeches focused on improving the quality of club meetings, with tips on attracting and maintaining members.
- Moments of Truth
- Finding New Members for Your Club
- Evaluate to Motivate
- Closing the Sale
- Creating the Best Club Climate
- Meeting Roles and Responsibilities
- Keeping the Commitment
- Going Beyond Our Club
- How to be a Distinguished Club
- The Toastmasters Educational Program